As the only institute for Hellenistic Studies in North America with a markedly interdisciplinary and collaborative focus, our mission is to function as a primary network-center in this field of scholarship.
In order to fulfill our mission we seek to:
- Support and promote individual and collective applications to granting agencies and foundations that foster collaborative, interdisciplinary, and innovative projects.
- Attract and promote young scholars who are pursuing cutting-edge research in various areas of Hellenistic studies.
- Develop closer relations and project-specific collaboration with similar centres in Europe (esp. at Edinburgh and Exeter).
- Promote a deeper understanding and appreciation for the Hellenistic Age by means of community-focused presentations, lectures, and programs.
- Invite the participation of senior and junior colleagues by means of Visiting Professorships and Visiting (Post-)Doctoral Fellowships.
- Encourage research-related travel by our graduate and undergraduate students by means of financial support.
- Host and sponsor conferences at Waterloo and elsewhere that are based especially upon interdisciplinary and collaborative approaches.
- Disseminate knowledge by publishing conference proceedings.
- Obtain access to private, corporate, and institutional funding and other resources that advance the main objectives of the Institute.
- Develop electronic databases of resources in Hellenistic Studies that will be of benefit to the Research Associates and other scholars.
- Mount and administer a peer-reviewed electronic journal for the dissemination of scholarship.
- Sponsor paper presentations and panel sessions at academic conferences.